Friday, December 20, 2019

The Fallacy of the “Two Sides” - Part V


The two sides of a cause, or a narrative, or an ideology are like the two sides of the same coin, which has no value without either of them. But still one thinks it’s superior to the other and the other dismisses it as though its existence is inconsequential. But one thing that comes about, seen holistically, is that both the sides are adamant, arrogant and insensitive to each other. The reality is that, one exists because of the other and if one hadn’t been there perhaps the other wouldn’t be there too. There’s a “Bhakt”, only because there’s also a “Sickular”. There’s a “Sold Media” because there’s also a “Modia”. And in the melee, the coin seems meaningless.

To give an example, let’s go through a conversation between “Any One” and “Other One”, who represent the two sides. They both are friends and come from similar backgrounds. But still they are on the two sides and here goes their conversation, about the recent CAA, Citizenship Amendment Act.

Any One: I feel it's incorrect to believe that Arundhati Roy or Barkha Dutt or folks like us can magically come up with a solution [for Kashmir]. It has to be some [a] combination of declaring the LOC an international border, giving the current Kashmiris proper rights and representation, a roadmap for demilitarization, a roadmap for minority rights, strengthening our border protection, etc. Specifics needs much deeper and sincere engagement with the valley. But now this is all academic talk. After August, the chances of this happening are zero. People like me are ready to join the militancy. Not me as in me, but people with our kind of background.

Other One: Well, when you say Kashmiris I’m sure you’re referring only to the Sunnis because the Shias and others don’t have much problem – I saw that first hand two years ago. Now I would be also curious to know what rights and representations the Kashmiris in India didn’t have between 1947 and the late eighties that anyone anywhere else in India had. All political parties in Kashmir were run by Kashmiris and I don’t take the crap that elections were rigged and hence they had to take to militancy. Elections have been rigged in Bengal all along till recently. First of all, it was never militarized. Even to get into talks, there has to be a status quo and few things like “azaadi” and sympathy towards terrorists and Pakistan have to be kept aside. So both sides have to come to some compromise that never happened, I see. See, these things are easy said than done. And you have very strong points, so do I, and both have logic and reasoning. Another problem is that my side and your side both are adamant and arrogant, claiming superiority in ideology and humanism. I see some very silly arguments coming up from both sides.

By the way, going by your logic of joining militancy, don’t you think the Hindus of Bangladesh and the Pandits should have all taken to militancy by now because their persecutions and human rights violation have been much more than the Sunnis of Indian Kashmir? See, this logic also doesn’t hold good. Many more people have been deprived of many things but they never took to militancy. Same goes for the Maoists – nothing can justify their militancy, or for that matter [that of] the Lankan Tamils.

Any One: Incorrect to assume that I'm only talking about rights and representation of Sunni Kashmiris. Everyone has rights. The idea of a democracy is not majority rule, which is what our politicians have made us believe, but a voice for everyone, no matter how feeble. If we carve out a Kashmir solution while ignoring the Shias and Pandits we will just sow the seeds of a new problem. Anyway, like I said, this debate is completely academic, because for the foreseeable future Kashmir is lost to India as a result of the August actions. As far as why Hindus didn't become militant in Bangladesh, I don't know. These are hard questions. Regarding militancy, where it does exist, one must try and understand the reasons behind it. Understanding terrorism isn’t the same as condoning it. For a while now anyone who tries to do the former is branded as someone who is doing the latter, and gets called terrorist sympathizer and anti-national. That in my view is an intentional political strategy that ultimately damages the country.

Other One: To me, if I see from little above, taking a holistic view, both sides seem to be agenda driven without any side trying to understanding the other. Whenever it comes to [the] persecuted Hindus, the response is, either “I can’t say” or “Let’s not bring that here”, or “Let’s move on, that’s past, why rake history”. And to me that aggravates the chasm between the two sides. To me both sides have serious biases and both sides think they are doing the right thing from their perspective. Like I always failed to understand why there’s no sympathy for the second largest persecuted religious community in the world, that’s the Hindus of East Pakistan, from the people who seem to be so much concerned about Palestine and Kashmir, whereas the numbers of the latter are lower in some order of magnitude than that of the former. There’s absolutely nothing significant available in the internet about the conditions of the Shias in POK. No one seems to be bothered about them but all are so concerned about the Sunnis of Indian Kashmir. There’s a bias in many other things which again increases the gaps between the two sides. So unless both sides reconcile, and stop taking moral high ground over the other, things will not stop.

I and you may be a skewed representative of the two sides – I said skewed because very few from your side seem to be as sensible and well-read and well opinionated like you and I can say the same for my side too. I feel so strongly about something without bias and you for something else. I can’t agree that I’m communal and you’re of course not anti-national. But still, see, how much “difference of opinion” exists on some very fundamental things between us. At least I listen to you and you hear me without me calling you anti national and you calling me communal. But that’s not the case for all from my and your sides. I perhaps can’t make you understand what makes me sad and what makes me feel helpless about certain reactions I see about certain things. I’m sure you too feel why I don’t think like you. So, you know that the thing we are dealing with is not simple and unless everyone behaves like us, there’s absolutely no hope. Next time BJP will lose, Congress will again carry out the same mistakes that will again bring back a more ferocious BJP after few terms and this will go on.

Any One: Wondering why if Ahmadis could access a process to gain citizenship why couldn't the Hindus from Bangladesh access the same process?

Other One: As I always maintain, Hindus of Bangladesh can’t be compared with anyone else. They are technically Indian citizens who were denied their basic right – they were not allowed to enter India – and that resulted in them being the second largest victim of persecution after the Jews. As I told, if I’m the citizen then they too are, and I could have been also one of them who couldn’t enter India, or rather not allowed to enter India. The partition made it mandatory for India to accept all willing non-Muslim people from both East and West Pakistan – everyone from West Pakistan was allowed to enter and only a part from East Bengal was. So the Hindus of Bangladesh can’t be mixed with anyone else. And no question of asylum for them – they are Indian citizens who were deprived of their rights. And then, they are much more persecuted than anyone else in India. Ahmadi, Baloch etc., etc. – no one faced such genocide killing 2.5 million.

Part VI

No comments: