Sunday, December 22, 2019

I support the Citizen Amendment Act – And I Don’t Hate Muslims, Nor Am I a Fascist



I have always maintained that the Hindus of Bangladesh can’t be compared with anyone else. They have all the right to be Indian citizens but were denied that basic right earlier – they were not allowed to enter India as a fallout of the ill-conceived Nehru-Liyaquat Pact, which is again a totally forgotten episode now – and that resulted in them being the second largest victim of religious persecution after the Jews (2.5 million of them were killed by the Pakistan Army between 1947 and 1971). If I’m the citizen then they too are, and I (a second generation of someone who just managed to enter India at the nick of time) too could have been one of them who couldn’t enter India, or rather not allowed to enter India. The partition made it mandatory for India to accept all willing non-Muslim people from both East and West Pakistan – everyone from West Pakistan was allowed to enter and only a part from East Bengal was. So the Hindus of Bangladesh can’t be mixed with anyone else.

Something which seems default to me is not easy to explain others. And there lies the chasm between the two sides – one who doesn’t oppose the CAA and the one who does. The Jews have been rehabilitated worldwide. But the second most persecuted religious community in the world is still not being rehabilitated and we are still debating. That’s really painful. And isn’t it just amazing that despite such level of persecution not a single of them have yet become militant or even taken to any form of violence, both in Bangladesh and also in India.

You may not be convinced about rehabilitation for past wrongs at the cost of others who are very much in the present. It could be also argued whether the Hindus not taking to militancy is amazing. You could think of various reasons. Divisions within Hindu society, lack of leadership, lack of support from rich diaspora from across the world, nonintervention of India, who knows.
But still, there’s a persecuted community who were ready to adjust to anything that came along and struggle to do whatever best they managed to get. And today, many successful Bengalis worldwide are among those persecuted people. It’s indeed something to study for the whole world. But they never came to the radar of anyone. No one is asking to do any wrong to others. I’m just saying, keep them aside and create rules for others. Don’t mix them with other persecuted people at all. Isn’t it ironical that we are ready to understand why someone can become militant but we say “don’t know” when there’s an example of such a huge persecuted community who stayed away from militancy? The Parsis and Tibetans too never became militants and they too were not less persecuted. It’s indeed worth studying why certain people – Sri Lankan Tamils, Maoists, Kashmiris – took to militancy but many others didn’t.

It could be argued that we could keep on theorizing about this stuff. But the pain and suffering that people and kids are going through right now, today, is something we are all complicit in. Just as our parents were complicit in Nehru's mistakes. In our times if there is something I can do to raise my voice against injustice that moves me, I will. But it should be also agreed I can't do it for everyone. So the argument of what about the community X in such and such place doesn't hold for me. We are not super humans that we have to stand up for every injustice. If we raise our voice for any cause, we believe in, I think we are being good citizens, irrespective of what side of the debate we are on, as long as it is sincere and not agenda driven.

But, I stand for something doesn’t mean that someone else can’t stand for something else. And “my standing” is the only high “standing” is also not acceptable. Today’s problem comes exactly from this attitude. I love Gandhi like a God and always hated Nathuram Godse but when I read what he told to the court in his trial I was firstly so shaken that I couldn’t sleep for [a] few days. Not that my love for Gandhi came down, rather it increased, but I learned a very big thing – that the other perspective is also equally strong as mine, and that the ethics and moralities are only relative. At the end, Nathuram Godse took arms, very much like a Kashmiri terrorist, and the adamancy and arrogance about the absoluteness of my ideology never allows to pardon a militant, come what may. Hence, at the end I can’t take Nathuram’s side though he also stood for what he felt was right. All our standings are like that. If I stand for Gandhi I must demonize Nathuram, and if I stand for Nathuram I must demonize Gandhi. But in reality, both sides become demon – the Gandhians might feel appalled at the thought that Nathuram could be right, and vice versa.

The moment you demonize one side too much, there’s a retaliation and in most cases it’s very severe. There are very solid grounds, supported by facts and figures, that Hindus have been wronged in many ways. But that’s normal – anyone could be wronged. So there’s perhaps no exception about the wrongs done towards the Hindus. But for a very long time the side that stood for the Hindus were demonized so much that one day they retaliated. If the demonization didn’t happen, perhaps the retaliation also wouldn’t have happened. Terrorism is also one form of fascism. In fact, fascism is terrorism. So if you think why the BJP has such enormous support base in what one side refers to as its own form of “terrorism”, it’s perhaps because of the same reason why Kashmiris have also come to support terrorism – the feeling that they haven’t been heard enough, that they have been demonized in many ways. So basically the problem is always in demonizing the other side. Whenever I call someone fascist or communal I’m demonizing him, not understanding why he’s behaving like that. For the sake of argument, it could be said that there’s no difference between a Kashmiri terrorist and may be Amit Shah or Modi or another Nathuram. One has more power so he’s doing more harm. So unless this looking down on others, taking a moral high ground that “my stand is higher than yours”, this will never end. As I told, BJP will lose, Congress will come, they will also do some other form of harm and then again BJP will come and it will go on and on like a vicious circle – unless we learn to listen otters, stop demonizing others.

So, I say again – I support the CAA and I don’t hate Muslims and I’m not a demon either. I don’t devour humans.

No comments: